Handover is a feature that allows you to divert the conversation to be handled by a third-party.
Through the Handover feature, you can:
- Handover conversations to your page’s inbox.
- Handover conversations to another bot.
- Handover conversations from bot to human.
- Handover conversations to a social media management tool such as Hootsuite.
For starters, there is a list of things you need to have available in order for the Handover feature to work:
- You need to set WideBot as your primary app. A primary app is the main app that receives page messages and handles them.
- You need to set at least one application as your secondary app. A secondary app is a third-party app that the conversation will be handed over to.
- You need to define what guides the user to return to the bot.
You’ll find guides that should help you make the above happen in the upcoming section.
How to set a primary and/or secondary app
In order for the Handover feature to work, you need to set WideBot as your primary app and another app as your secondary app as per the steps below. These steps should be done on Facebook:
- Open your Page Settings, and click on “Advanced Messaging”
- Under App Settings, click on “Configure”
- Under “Primary Receiver for Handover Protocol”, select “WideBot” to setup primary app
- Under “Secondary Receiver for Handover Protocol”, select the secondary app you’d like to handover the conversation to.
How to set up the Handover feature
After you’re done following the guides above, you should have done everything necessary for the Handover feature to work. Here’s a recap of the steps you need to follow to set up Handover.
- Configure the primary and secondary apps in Facebook.
- Select the secondary app in the platform.
- Setup how the user returns to the bot.
How to set up how the user returns to the bot
There are several ways you can choose for your conversation to return to the bot. You can apply one or all of these methods. Keep in mind that the maximum number of characters for the button is 20 characters.
- Set up a time limit for the handover to end. This can be for minutes, hours, or even days. This is also known as Handover Time.
- Set up a “Back to Bot” button. Keep in mind that you can change the button’s text, but you cannot change the action it takes. It can only bring the user back to the bot.
- Add keywords that will return the user to the bot when detected. You can add up to a maximum of 50 keywords.